Sunday, November 26, 2006

I met Tom (not his real name).

Coming out to Portland I sat with Tom on the plane. We spent a long time in great discussion. As a fellow Philosopher we engaged each other with a sense of commonality. I was privileged (really, really blessed) to engage this young collegiate who attends a Christian College.

He was very excited about Jesus in that he is a farely new Christ follower. He was extremely excited about his church so much so that he drives one hour to be present there on Sunday morning. Many students at the college (maybe half) have disconnected from church and we discussed the reasons. I always think I have the right answers so I gave them -but I admit I am not always right (that hurts to say that).

At first Tom responded to me like we were on the same page. It is hard to talk about living the Great Commission with "supremacy" and have people understand because often people think about how the church is corporately doing the Great Commission and giving out and planning outreach events to bring the unreached in. But for that brief time to Mineapolis for my connection I begin to watch Tom go into the wringer of deconstruction as he began to feel the burden of his personal part (responsibility) in fulfilling the Great Commission outside of church.

We departed our plane and soon Tom caught up with me and asked a very important question. He asked, "How do you engage people you don't know in conversation?" My answer was brief, "Let God open the doors for conversation, don't try to do it yourself, don't plan what you will say, let God's Holy Spirit give you the words and lead you at just the right time." It's easier than you think!

I hope Tom (not his real name) will connect with us in blogland as we continue the deprogramming and reprogramming process in becoming the Church in the world instead of just going to church. I assured him that going to church was a good thing as long as being the Church outside of the church is most important and the first thing on our minds. Don't argue with people about why they should go to your church or a church - share Jesus with them. Never in my life have people been so turned off with going to church and so open to Jesus as they are today.

Tom is on the verge of being so transformed by God so much so that he is about to experience what it means to lead others to Jesus who will do the same themselves. Let's introduce people to our Jesus before introducing them to our church! Gathering with the Church is a by-product of coming to know Jesus! Tom is going to lead someone who will also lead someone who will lead someome.

I welcome Tom into the world of being a missionary in America for Jesus.

1 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being proceeds doing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters