Thursday, November 23, 2006

No Thanksgiving for Darfur refugees

I'm sad this morning as I think about those who are hurting in the world. Today I am praying for Darfur refugees. Some of the Darfur refugees are watching Sudanese refugees stand in line to register to leave (at great risk) the camp to head home to Sudan's south as their civil war has ended in that part of the country. But Darfur has an estimated 2.5 million who fled the country and are living in refugee camps. It still amazes me that the U.S. has done very little to offer assistance to stabilize this area. No thanksgiving for Darfur refugees.

Why aren't we responding to this humanitarian crises? We give millions of aide to countries and then we hear little or nothing about Darfur. What a missed opportunity to show the world the compassion of Christ through us. While the world misunderstands the heart of the American people and Christianity - the world is not seeing the Jesus we serve and love. Why did I let this happen? What didn't or don't I do something to show our world the heart and brokeness of our Savior through my concern to carry on His compassion and love?

To close I am wondering what the people of Darfur think about the Jesus we serve as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. We have the "Greatest" within us and the world does not see Him. Do they wonder where Jesus is in their sufferings?

My prayers as I gather with my family will also be for Darfur refugees and for peace in the troubled part of the world, and for families in America and in Irag who suffer the pains of instability and war. I'm thankful for so many blessings -but being thankful also means we think about why we should be thankful.

1 Comments:

At November 25, 2006 6:56 PM, Blogger spamthewunderdog said...

unrelated comment: Hey Bob, you might want to check out my most recent post at my blog in regards to The Great Commission. It is under the title "The Table of Jesus" http://spamthewunderdog.blogspot.com/2006/11/table-of-jesus.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters